Sunday, March 24, 2013

Here Comes Peter Cottontail

One week until Easter & it definitely feels like springtime in the desert.  My house is decorated for the holiday and I am ready for the Bunny to come calling!  Here are two cute Easter baskets that have a special story behind them.


The story is...............My Grandpa (YES! Grandpa not Grandma) made my brother & I these baskets  over 35 years ago.  He crocheted them.  As a young man my Grandpa was diagnosed with kidney problems and he had to quit working.  While he was home he became quite the crafter.  He made all kinds of things including these baskets.  It was important that he kept his hands & mind busy.  Because of that I am the lucky granddaughter who got lots of homemade gifts.  (The eggs are ceramic.  These were made by my mom a VERY long time ago).  Here is another picture of the basket before it was filled.  The white area is a butter container.


 I am not sure if there is a pattern out there for this basket or not.  I am just learning how to crochet.  Years ago my Grandpa taught me the chain stitch.  With the help and encouragement of my sister-in-laws I am attempting to crochet a throw for my family room.  I will let you know when I finish it.  Hopefully by the end of this year. LOL  I hope that all of you have a wonderful and magical evening!  Thanks so much for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome, and definitely a special keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these baskets are great!! am amazed you've kept them this long. I feel like decorating my daughter's basket now :) thanks for sharing!

    www.prettylittledahlia.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now we know where you get your crafting talent from! What a great keepsake from your grandpa.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!